Magnolia...
Magnolia...I WATCHED MAGNOLIA TODAY!!! [and no... it wasn't rated R]
basically... it's the kind of movie that my dad won't like since it is a bit more 'wordy' or... in other words... uses a bit more brain power to watch... in a way... you could say that it is a thinking movie... not down-right action/thriller/horror/suspense... but more down-to-earth...
the movie lasted for 3 hours... and has had 3 academy award nominations... 1 for Tom Cruise for best supporting actor... (not that he did bad or anything) but I don't understand why he got that... for 3 hours divided by about 9 characters is like 20min on screen per person tops... and... Academy Award nomination a bit unbelievable...
the story is about a bunch(huge bunch) of pple in a town, and their problems/happenings/actions on a particular day... It talks abt real pple... in real situations... and believe me... it WASN'T boring... but towards the end, it rained frogs - literally... (after a little research I found out that it has happened before and tiny animals/fishes have rained down before... due to a heavy wind-storm over a lake filled with let's say frogs...
to some of you... the froggy ending might have left you with both your brows raised up into your hairline... I almost did that... but, actually, the ending is supposed to have connections with exodus 8:2 or smthg... (sm portion in the bible when it was mentioned to rain frogs)... anyway... other than that... it also showed how these people's problems were, that taking a frog-raining insidednt into heart is casual... MOST IMPORTANTLY... the whole thing abt coincidence comes into play... like this man... who may have pulled the trigger on himself due to guilt of doing smthg wrong... had a frog fall from the sky, through the glass on top, and fall on his hand causing him to pull the trigger - he may not have done so otherwise...
And the most WELL-REPEATED qoute was: We may be through with the past... but the past isn't through with us...
OHOHOH! The best thing... at a point when Tom Cruise goes to meet his dying father(with hate) ... he knocks door - male nurse opens... there are a few dogs in the house and the nurse tries shooing them in to let Cruise step in, but with much difficulty... after some time, when Cruise finally decides to go and confront his father... he warns the nurse saying smthg like "If anyone of the dogs comes near me, I swear I'll give it a kick that would send it flying feet up in the air..."
Then he goes in... and THIS IS WHERE THE VCD SKIPPED A FEW SECONDS... was an abrupt scene change... and I rewinded it twice but to no avail... I thought smthg was wrong with me player... BUT AFTERWARDS... when the body of the dad is cleared... a BODY OF A DOG IS ALSO!!! Then comprehension dawned on me!!! They censored out that part... cause I believe there was Cruise giving a fatal blow to a dog in the movie!!! HAHAHAHAHA
but anyways... it was good on its own way... interesting/intriguing... :D
oh... and after research I found out that a possible reason why it's called Magnolia... is cause it was believed that the bark of a magnolia tree can help treat cancer (which has been proven false, but anyway-) ... and 2 of the characters have cancer... and sort of triggera chain of events in a sense... :D
ahh... tomorrow I shall watch 'A beautiful Mind'... and btw: 17 days to the release of Collateral:D
signing off -
Radhika *the Great & movie lover*